Sunday 6 March 2011

Skittle Wisdom

I had a sort of mini-epiphany today when I was at work. It’s amazing how these little nuggets of wisdom can hit you in the head as you straighten up the paisley blouses and rearrange the faux hiking boots and stand at the counter reading a magazine and trying to pretend you’re busy. I realised that most of my mental energy every day is spent contemplating the future – daydreaming about my future career(s), a beautiful rolling countryside where I’ll live, what my “house of dreams” will be like.

This daydreaming is a large part of who I am, and let’s be honest, is something I’m not going to be able to cease doing no matter how hard I try, because most of the time I don’t realise I’m doing it. But I need to take heed of the advice professed upon us by so many wise minds – I need to be more present in the now. I really want to learn to appreciate the little things that happen every day that are right in front of me, rather than focusing on some blurred, hazy picture of a dream future which might never happen.

Very deep I know, but for some reason Sunday evening always puts me in a contemplative mood. Probably the comedown from my 3pm packet of Skittles.

No comments:

Post a Comment